Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Movie Recomendation: Singles

Oh how I wish I could have fully enjoyed the grunge scene. By the time I turned 12 it was all over. Still I have very fond memories of staying up late watching Alternative Nation and telling my friends I was going to marry Bill Corgan. However nothing makes me yearn more for the good old grunge days of the early 90’s like this movie.

Singles follows a group of twenty-something year olds living in Seattle during the height of the grunge era. Although the movie is not too deep, it is very entertaining and it does feature plenty of cool music. Chris Cornell and Eddie Vedder also share a small part.

I really enjoyed watching this movie because it shows a picture of a period in time where grunge still ruled.

9 comments:

v said...

Cameron Crowe (Jerry Maguire, Vanilla Sky, Almost Famous) directed it. I'm no big Crowe fan but I see that your point is more about the music and the scene.

Before hearing the songs of Nirvana (as well as The Smashing Pumpkins and others) I thought people being Grunge were just lazy and dirty. And while that might be true, they did have some wonderful music.

LA said...

This is one of my all-time favorite films. It's one of the few I own, and I've watched it dozens of times. Campbell Scott and Kyra Sedgewick lead a wonderful ensemble cast with lots of cameos by rockers plus Cameron Crowe himself.

Good call, Pixie!

Diane said...

Totally agree with la here . . . and poor Kyra when she gives her foreign beau her garage door opener . . .

M-M-M-Mishy said...

Very good movie recommendation, Pixie. I enjoyed it too. I was the same age when grunge died out and really worked my teenaged years into the "Clueless" and "Dawson's Creek" stuff.

PixieGaf said...

V it is definitely more about the music but its still a good movie.

LA I only wish I was old enough to enjoy this movie when it first cam out.

Diane I thought that part was so funny.

Mishy we are the Clueless
generation.

LA said...

I was in my late 20s when this movie came out. I remember seeing it on date night on the big screen with an old boyfriend.

Mish and Pix - You guys are definitely an undefined generation, so make it yours!

Prunella Jones said...

Love this movie. Love the music! Good call, Pix!

PixieGaf said...

Thats some good advice LA!
Pru its a great movie isn't it.

kookla@work said...

I missed this when it first came out and several reruns later, but I remember seeing bits and pieces. Great cast, looks funny as hell. I will give it a look-see next time it's on!